Monday, December 9, 2013

Nutrition Shakes

I've been wanting to start a blog for a long time about eating.  We have such an obsession about what to eat and what not to eat in this country.  It's just sad.  What I say on this blog is in no way construed to be medical advice.  Just strictly opinion.  Take it or leave it.  Remember, I am not forcing anyone to read this blog.

I want to talk about nutrition shakes because I question the value of drinking them.  I think most people, myself included, assume that they are packed with vitamins and protein.  What a quick and easy way to take care of your nutritional needs when you're in a hurry.

However, I tried the Ensure nutrition shake this weekend.  Totally out of character for me to eat something like this, but hey, it's the holiday season, and I'm busy too.  Since I have been trying to quit eating so much sugar, my taste buds are more sensitive to sweets, and I immediately disliked the taste.  It was overwhelmingly sweet.  So I looked at the nutrition facts on the label and I was shocked.  I got out my milk carton and compared labels and was surprised and happy to find out that a glass of milk and a multivitamin was a better choice, definitely cheaper.


 I'm comparing the label on the nutrition drink to the label on a carton of Organic Valley whole milk.  Everyone has their own issues, but my priorities are protein and carbs.  I want more protein and less carbs (sugar) in my diet.  And I'm not looking for all of the vitamins, because I eat my veggies and I take a multivitamin every day.  Fat is not an issue for me, because I know that fat is good.  I need fat in my diet to help my body absorb vitamins and satisfy my appetite.


The nutrition drink has 9 grams of protein and the glass of milk has 8 grams.  The nutrition drink has 22 grams of sugar, with total carbs of 40,  and the milk has 11 grams of sugar with total carbs of 12.  They both have 30% DV of calcium and 25% of Vitamin D.  And, as I said, the nutrition drink has added vitamins, which I don't need.  

However, the nutrition drink also has in addition to the vitamins:
Corn syrup, Corn malodextdextrin, milk protein concentrate, soy oil, soy protein concentrate, cocoa powder (processed with alkali), canola oil, corn oil, salt, carrageenan, natural and artificial flavor.

Milk ingredients:
Organic Grade A milk, Vitamin D3 

This should be a no-brainer.  It was for me.  I dumped the Ensure down the drain and drank a glass of milk instead.  So healthy, so delicious, nutritious, and far less expensive.  And don't be afraid of the whole milk!  Whole milk has a higher amount of fat, but skim and 2% have a higher amount of sugar.  I seriously believe that sugar is more of a problem than fat.

Now Go Ahead, Eat!
Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment